There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease yet, there is only symptomatic treatment. This is why it is worth focusing on prevention – the study summarizing 396 literature publications provides 16 practical tips for this.
Alzheimer’s disease is a type of dementia that gradually destroys the health of the brain, killing more and more brain cells over time, and breaking down neural connections. All this leads to the deterioration of memory and cognitive functions. As we wrote in one of our earlier articles, a 2022 study showed that people who are more physically fit are less likely to develop this disease. As there is only symptomatic medication available for it so far, a study summarizing 396 publications in the literature has gathered what measures can best be taken to prevent its development.
This is how we can prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease
Anyone who has already experienced, as a family member, friend, or acquaintance, what it is like to assassinate the unstoppable deteriorating condition of another who has seen how frightening this situation of constant insecurity is for the patient will surely want to know how to prevent them from falling victim to themselves. According to the current state of science, these are worth paying attention to:
It is worth taking these practical tips to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s diseaseOsakaWayne Studios / Getty Images Hungary
- Older adults need to pay attention to maintaining their healthy body mass index.
- All ages, but especially those over 65, should exercise regularly.
- There are many mentally stimulating activities worth doing, such as reading, solving puzzles, and playing various games.
- Smoking and smoky environments should be avoided.
- Quality sleep and the treatment of sleep problems are important.
- Things that lead to diabetes should be avoided and diabetics should be monitored to keep their blood sugar levels under control.
- Cerebrovascular disease and cardiovascular disease are risk factors. It is worth preventing it with a healthy lifestyle, but once it is developed, it is important to take the right medications.
- It is important to avoid head injuries.
- To avoid age-related weakness, it is advisable to do exercises that focus on muscle strength.
- To prevent the development of high blood pressure, it is also worth paying attention to a healthy lifestyle change, and if it has already developed, regulate blood pressure with medication.
- Depression is also a risk factor. Mental illnesses should also be treated.
- Maintaining good cardiovascular health is important, as atrial fibrillation is a risk factor for people who take medication.
- It is important to spend time relaxing and reducing everyday stress.
- The amount of education you receive early in life can also help prevent the development of Alzheimer’s, so it’s worth paying attention to this for our children and grandchildren.
- It is advisable to have regular blood tests and check your homocysteine levels. If this increases, supplementation with vitamin B and/or folic acid should be considered.
- It is important to ensure proper vitamin C intake, whether by changing your diet or taking a vitamin C supplement.
In addition to these tips, two studies were presented at an international conference of the Alzheimer’s Association in 2020 that showed that the flu vaccine also reduced the chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease: one vaccine resulted in a 17 percent decrease and more frequent vaccinations. . Vaccination against pneumonia reduces the chances of developing it between the ages of 65 and 75 by 40 percent.
All in all, there is really only one thing we can do to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s: we need to pay attention to the health of our bodies, to keep our minds fresh.